Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tuesday

Today started off pretty well. Keeghan slept pretty late, ate a good breakfast and was even playing with me a bit. I got what I think was a kiss too. We played together a bunch this morning as we didn't have to be anywhere until 2:30pm. She imitated what I did...banging blocks together, stacking the cups I brought and even feeding me a bit. She figured out how to open and close the drawers in the room and was all about the laptop. She can wave hi and bye and clap, stack up blocks and kick (seriously she was kicking them) them down, and she followed me to the bathroom at one point (a first as until then if I put her somewhere she stayed right where I put her). I finally got her to drink some juice out of a bottle (I've tried everything to get her to drink...sippy cup, bottles, regular cups and wasn't having much success). She crashed for an early nap while sitting on my lap and woke up not crying even. We ate lunch in our room and then she got a bit fussy but we were headed out to a huge local park so I figured maybe she'd crash in the sling or at least be interested in the sights so off we went...

Well, the park didn't last too long as Keeghan started wailing and wasn't going to stop. She cried most of the way back to the hotel so I figured she'd take a nap when we got back to our room. Well, I figured wrong. She did calm down enough to play with me some more and eat some snacks but then she got all worked up again. Enough so that she puked all over us. At that point I figured I had nothing to lose and that I'd give her a bath. Her nanny had said she loves baths so I thought maybe she'd enjoy it. Wrong again. But now, at least, she's clean again. After the bath I put her in jammies and we headed downstairs to meet our travel mates for dinner. She calmed down again for that and was even grinning at the other Mom during dinner (which is quite a feat because she does NOT like strangers...Heaven help anyone that tries to touch this child when we get home). Once she'd had enough though there was no hanging around. She started crying again and even reaching for me to take her out of the highchair. At that point I knew she was exhausted and brought her up to our room. It took a good ten minutes of crying to get her to sleep and then she woke up about 15 minutes later, but now seems to be settled for the night. Keep you fingers crossed for me!

On another note...we got back almost everything we'd sent in our care package to Keeghan. Unfortunatly, the cameras we sent were still in their plastic wrappers unused. But, I'm pretty sure she was shown our photo album as that is one of her favorite things to look at and it seems she's saying Jie Jie (big sister) while looking through it. I know that is one of her words (thanks to the Nannies who gave me great information about her schedule and likes and dislikes). There was more babbling today too overall though I wish I could understand her better. Our guide can't even totatlly translate as YiYang (the city she is from) has it's own dialect. So, we're still working on getting to know one another and it seems to be going slowly but ok. Apparently there are not many children in the Orphanage Keeghan came from as that building is going to be closing soon and moving to another location. That meant that Keeghan got alot of attention from her Nannies and was very attached so she's really feeling that loss I think.

FYI, I don't think I'm getting all e-mails that are getting sent so if I'm not responding to you forgive me. I'm off to try and get some sleep...it's been a long day.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Sounds like things are starting to come around. Hopefully she will be smiling enough soon so that you can capture it on camera. Enjoy!