Monday, December 15, 2008

And a late night too.

Today was pretty much low key and free. We played in the playroom a bit after breakfast where Keeghan had fun playing ball with a 3 year old little boy who is here getting his 3 year old sister. After that we went out for a quick walk to kill some time before going for a nap. Since we were up so early I didn't want a 9am nap and a cranky baby the rest of the day. Going down for a nap wasn't so easy but then Keeghan slept for a good hour and a half while I waited for our guide to call and let me know our visa paperwork was all set. She finally called at about 12:20 just after Keeghan had got up from her nap. I guess everything went fine and we were free!

Off we went to Lucy's (the American food place) for lunch where I had a cheeseburger and Keeghan had some sticky rice (it's boiled rice...but really sticky so you can eat it with chopsticks) and chicken congee. Oh, and she ate some of a spring roll that some friends shared. After lunch we went to shop for a bit with our travel buddies who live near us. That was fun. We got a few other things I wanted to buy at good prices (I would have left without this stuff if they hadn't come down to the prices I wanted) so that was good. After that we came back to the room because I knew Keeghan was going to need another nap.

Well, fast forward to 4:30 when she was still fighting sleep...I ended up rocking her to sleep and curling up in my bed with her. I had to wake her up about an hour later as I wanted to go to bed sometime tonight!! We ate in our room (a boiled egg and tangerine that we took from breakfast and some cheerios) and then went out for a walk.

I ended up out for an hour or so and then came back to get Keeghan ready for bed. She wasn't thinking bed was the best idea and I stood and rocked her for a good 30 minutes, but she kept kicking me and pulling at my face and pulled an earring out. Finally I was getting frustrated enough that I knew I needed to put her down (even if it was just for two minutes to take a breath) so I did...and off to sleep she went without a whimper! I just can't figure this girl out.

Some things I did learn about Keeghan today:
She understands no and will sometimes shake her head no when I say it...but she certainly doesn't listen to it!
She can crawl. I have tried a couple of times when we're playing to get her to crawl (sometimes kids walk without crawling which isn't the best for their development so I was curious about whether or not she could) but she'd never done it until today.
She understands sit. This, after almost killing herself 3 or 4 times by standing up and running around on the bed. Obviously I had caught her every time but she keeps freaking me out so we've been working on sit.
She will mimic me if I do something. Today I put my head on the pillow and said "night night" and she came and put her head down too. She'll also make noises with her mouth as I do them (ie clicking her tongue or blowing raspberries). And on that same note, she thinks it's fun when I mimic her.
She actively tries to engage me in games when we are playing together. She'll pull her shirt up to get me to kiss or tickle her belly or put her foot up for me to kiss and tickle.

Only one more day here. Tomorrow at 2 we are taking our group photo and red couch picture of the kids and then we're off to the consulate to take an oath and from there we pack up to leave at 6 Wednesday morning!!! Can't wait to get home and see everyone. I'll probably post at least one more time tomorrow to share our pictures.

1 comment:

Ellen Tanowitz said...

Sounds like you and Keeghan are really bonding! Can't wait to meet her in person -- we will wait to hear from you when you (all of you) are up for visitors.

Safe, speedy and easy labor (I mean travels) home!

Ellen