Thursday, December 18, 2008

Finally HOME!!

After 24 LONG hours of travel, Keeghan and I made it home last night. We were up bright an early (me at 4:50am and Keeghan at 5:45am) to get to the airport and onto our first flight. That one was 4 fun hours. Keeghan cried a bit and took a short nap but it went ok. From there we switch planes in Tokyo (after almost losing the favorite blanket at a security checkpoint) and settled in for 12 hours on a packed plane. Not alot of fun with a sometimes restless 16 month old. There were a bunch of families on this flight so pretty much all of our children took a turn crying. Overall...it went WAY better than I expected. We were in the very last row of the plane which meant we had a bit of space next to our seat to stand up and "play" or rock a cranky baby. Keeghan slept for about 3 hours on this flight and I dozed but trying to hold Keeghan up and not fall out of my seat meant it was not quality sleep! Landing in Detroit was the BEST!!! Getting through immigration and customs...not exactly the best. Because there were several adoptive families on the plane the line for immigration was a bit long and then we had to go claim our checked luggage and bring it through customs only to re-check it. A bit of a pain when it's just one grown up and a baby! But, we made it and then had some time to change diapers/clothes, have something to eat...oh and some much needed coffee for Mom. We were VERY happy to be back in the US at that point. From there we just had a quick flight to Manchester. Keeghan did not like getting on another plane one bit but after about 10 minutes of crying she sacked out and slept through the flight. Getting off that plane was amazing. I knew Doug and the kids were waiting for us and I couldn't wait to see them.

Carson spotted us first and was crying as I came through the security gate. They all gave me big hugs and were immediately about talking to their new little sister. Once Keeghan seemed ok with them I took her out of the sling (and here I need to say that sling was a Godsend on this trip) to let her get down and check everyone out. She gave Devon and Carson hugs but Kennedy wasn't into holding her hands out so Keeghan didn't go to her so quickly. At this point a guy who was getting his luggage and I had noticed taking a picture came over to say congratulations and tell me that he and his wife have three children and were contemplating adoption and that he'd sent her a photo of us and she was all teary eyed. I told him I highly recommended doing this!!

Keeghan did well in the car only getting fussy when we were almost home. Sleep, however, wasn't so good. She took a nap from 10-11:15ish and then was up until 2. At that point I hadn't really slept and was falling asleep standing up hold her! I finally got her out and just let her sleep on me in our bed. She woke up again at 4 and then at 5 and was up for the morning at 6. We hung out in bed until almost 7 when we had breakfast. Doug decided to work today given tomorrow's weather is supposed to be bad so I somehow or another got myself together (ok...really it was because Carson was a HUGE help) and brought Carson to school and got to the grocery store.

Keeghan is now out for a nap so I have to get a few things done and maybe sleep myself but I wanted to say thank you to everyone who's helped us get this far in this journey and let you all know we are home safe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it home with minimal problems!

Missed you,

love,
kris

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that you are all home together --- FINALLY! Mazel Tov, Kisses and Hugs to you all, Amanda