Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sleep (aka I'm a mean Mommy)

So I decided since everyone was going back to school/work this week that I was going the we're sleeping and doing it in the crib route. Keeghan had been sleeping in a pack n play in our room. It was about 6 inches from my head next to our bed (due to space issues) and we were not sleeping well at all. Remember in China we slept a good 11 hours a night and napped as well. Obviously we had to get past the time change once we got home but that is well past us and we were still not sleeping well. I think being on something of a schedule is important and I really needed some solid sleep so we embarked on this mission yesterday.

I decided to keep Keeghan "up" until 1 before a nap. It was a bit after that when I tried to put her down and she wasn't so interested in being put down despite being mostly asleep. I let her cry for 5 minutes, went back in to settle her down and reassure her I wasn't going to leave her...and let her cry for 5 more minutes. Just as I was getting ready to go back in she seemed to be settling down so I let her and she fell asleep. Less than an hour later she was up and that was in no way enough of a nap so I settled her back down and left...more crying but only a couple of minutes and to sleep she went. Overall she napped for about 2 hours...decent! Well, last night was the first night I tried the crib. Went in about 7:45ish and spent some time rocking/cuddling. Set Keeghan down mostly awake but settled and said goodnight. She fussed a bit but went to sleep. We did wake up a few times in the middle of the night but I went with the back patting for a minute and left. Only took about 10 minutes the first time and she went back to sleep (though Kennedy was convinced I didn't even come up here and then when I told her I did she was like "That was loud!"). The other time I just set Keeghan back down and left and she slept until 7:30 or so. Seems like a good start but I'm not counting my chickens just yet!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck - you wrote that she "said goodnight" - is that speech? Is she talking much?