Sunday, January 18, 2009

An odd habit

I think I've mentioned that Keeghan came to me with a small blue checked washcloth kinda thing. I was told, very explicitly, that she would want it to go to sleep. Ok, sure thing. Or she'll look at it with disgust and not touch it. That's what happened the first week so I tucked it away with the other orphanage stuff and didn't think much about it. That is, until we were home and not sleeping and I was willing to try anything...oh and the night she was sucking/chewing on my pajama shirt. Hmmm, maybe there was something to what they said about that blue cloth. So, I pulled it back out. Still hasn't been something Keeghan HAS to have but she will chew/suck on it once in a while. Ok, I'm good with self comforting...Keeghan totally would have been a guhkah (that's a pacifier in our house) baby! Anyway, more and more over the past two weeks I've found Keeghan sucking/chewing on different cloth stuff. I say it that way because she doesn't discriminate...she'll suck on a burp cloth, a blanket...whatever. I guess it's good she doesn't get wound up about having the ONE 4"x4" piece of washcloth but I still find the habit a bit odd. Anyone else got a blanket sucker???

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yep. After the "boppies" (what O called pacifiers) were banished, I would occasionally realize that he was finding substitutes. Even now, he will chew or suck on the sleeves of his shirts. Annoying but hopefully harmless.

Tami said...

I actually just got an e-mail from someone with a daughter from the same orphanage who said ALL the girls in her travel group are all blanket girls. Glad it's not just us!