Saturday, June 20, 2009

HELP

Keeghan is working on becoming more vocal. She has plenty of words, it's just very unfortunate that we only understand about 10 of them. Normally, I can figure out what she wants/needs by what she is "saying" and other cues that are going on. In the car, however, when we're all buckled into seat belts (and the Princess in her seat) and I'm often trying to drive, trying to figure out what Keeghan needs becomes infinitely more difficult. I try to talk and sing with her and make sure she has a book or small toy, juice and a snack whenever we're in the car. Unfortunately, though, once Keeghan is done with whatever she's got or if she wants me to "read" a book to her she will repeat over and over and over and over and over (you get the idea) some phrase (that I don't understand at all) until I somehow hit on what she wants. If I get it right in the first five or six repetitions we're ok. After that, however, her voice becomes louder and louder and the pitch higher and higher and the screeching just doesn't stop. I can try and distract her (and the other kids do too if they're in the car) but there is just no stopping this incessant repeating screech of a phrase that I don't understand. I have NO CLUE what to do at this point and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up driving off the road at some point if I don't figure this out because it is IMPOSSIBLE to listen to. Any ideas???

2 comments:

Beth said...

What about trying flashcards with pictures of things she asks for? Hook them on a loop and leave them in the car so she can show you what she wants??

Tami said...

It's a thought...I'll try anything at this point!