Tuesday, March 24, 2009

People are amazing

And I don't necessarily mean that in a good way. One day last week I was out running an errand with Keeghan. The person checking us out took a look at Keeghan's hand and exclaimed, "What happened to her hand?!". I responded with, "She has lymphedema.". The person commented back that their thought was Keeghan had been stung by a bee or something. Ok, seriously? Her hand looks a bit like it's inflated...but isn't bruised or otherwise marked. Just tremendously swollen. Wouldn't you think if she'd been hurt it would be bruised, discolored, or hey...bandaged? And really, I don't mind questions, but don't be an idiot! Kids are obviously taken back by the swelling. I don't blame them. Her hand looks very odd when you're not used to it. I, personally, don't really notice anymore. It's just Keeghan. My typically response to a child who is hesitant about Keeghan's hand is to tell them it's ok to touch. It doesn't hurt her and it's just extra water in her body.

Then there are the medical professionals we've been dealing with. Who ask questions about her medical history. The conversation typically goes something like this...

Medical person, "How long has the swelling been noticeable?"

Me, "We have only had her 3 months. Her hand has been like that since before we got her."

Medical person, "So, since birth?"

Me, "Well, I don't know. We don't have medical records or pictures. The photos we have from when she was about 9 months old show the swelling."

Medical person, "What else do you know about her medical history?"

Me, "We don't have any information on that. She was in an orphanage. We do not have any medical records."

It goes on. It's frustrating. I often feel like saying "HELLO...she came from an orphanage in China. We got a baby, with the clothes on her back and not much else. I don't know if she has allergies or has had illnesses or whatever. I barely know whether or not she's happy never mind anything else." This morning I was filling out a form that wanted to know things like primary language...hmmm do I put Chinese or English?...and whether or not she's right handed. When this particular office called to schedule this appointment they asked if we had a preference of who to see and my snide response was "Keeghan is 19 months old so she doesn't much care and this is our first appointment, so I don't know." Just needed to vent my frustration with stupid stuff.

No comments: