Wednesday, March 18, 2009

3 Months...turning the attachment corner

Yesterday (3/17) made three months that Keeghan has been home with all of us. She seems to be thriving...has gained weight and grown a solid inch, is much more comfortable with all of us willingly giving hugs and kisses at bedtime and some other times as well, showing us that she's a toddler and throwing fits about being put in her carseat or stroller, looking for us when we are not around.

We seem to have turned an attachment corner. I am much more comfortable with leaving Keeghan to go to work or the gym and she seems more comfortable staying with Doug. I went back to to work last Friday. My schedule is set up so that Doug is home when I am not and I had been VERY anxious about going back to work. I think our week away helped Doug and Keeghan bond and me to see that she was ok with Doug. I was still nervous Friday morning but was home in an hour and a half and Keeghan was, of course, fine. Friday night was movie night at school and I was in charge so the girls were keeping Keeghan occupied for me. She was all good with not having to be right next to me but would yell "Ma Ma" when she needed to check in. Saturday morning I was on my way to the gym when I turned on my cell phone and got a text that I was supposed to be at work...HUH? I called and found out I'd accidentally been put on the schedule to count. I thought quickly and told the manger that if she put drawers out, I would be in after the gym and a quick shower to count for her. It was then, that I said that, without hesitation, that I realized I wasn't so stressed about leaving Keeghan with Doug to go to work. Don't get me wrong, I know he is perfectly capable of taking care of Keeghan...that's not it at all. It's just that I don't want Keeghan to EVER feel like I've left her, especially this soon, and things just feel like they've turned a corner as far as that goes. She actively looks for Ba Ba when he is not around and has taken to pointing at me and calling me Ma Ma as opposed to just yelling it in the hopes of getting what she wants. I can't put it into words...it just is. So, I'm back to working and feeling a bit more useful. Slowly, things are getting to that new normal.

No comments: