Tuesday, July 28, 2009

TWO

I love that little girl!!

Keeghan's birthday is tomorrow. She'll be 2. Last year as she was turning 1 we were still in a debate about whether or not lymphedema and Keeghan were to become part of our lives. We were pretty sure but didn't commit until the day after her birthday. This year she's here with us and probably getting her first chance to celebrate a birthday. She obviously has no clue what that means but we do and it matters to me that we celebrate. The cake is baked, the frosting made, and I'll put it all together so we can sing Happy Birthday and light candles tomorrow.
As her birthday approaches I'm a bit sad that she's going to be 2 and not really a baby anymore (pretty sure, however, I'll still be referring to her as "the baby") and I wonder about her birthmother. I wonder if 7/29/07 is really the day Keeghan was born. I wonder about her Mother's labor...was she alone? was Keeghan's birth Father there too? was it long? short? was Keeghan born early? late? on time? were her birthparent's excited? or did they know they would not be able to keep Keeghan with them? was she born in the morning? or in the evening? was it hot? rainy? These are all things I can tell you easily about the births of my other 3 children but questions I'll never have answers to about Keeghan and that makes me a bit sad. Guess we'll just have to enjoy the joy that Keeghan brings us and show her how to celebrate a birthday...and look forward to all the other birthdays we'll have with her.

No comments: